Anywhoozle, the point of this post is that I read some books in the last three months. And they were pretty good. Here we go!
Shades of Milk and Honey; Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal
3/5 stars and 4/5 stars, respectively.
I started the year with this fun set of historical fiction/fantasy novels. They are set in Regency England, which is great for Jane Austen fans like myself. The fantasy bit comes from magic called "glamour;" it's a skill used to create illusions. I'm typically not a fan of fantasy, but I really enjoyed the magic element in these books. It's believable, well-planned, and supports the plot and characters without defining them. Shades was likeable, but I only gave it 3 stars because the plot and characters are lifted heavily from Jane Austen's work, and I felt the ending came out of nowhere. Glamour was better; the plot improved dramatically, and the characters progressed. So try this series if you love a good clean romance, a bit of magic, and Jane Austen.
Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
5/5 starsI'm a sucker for dry British humor, and this classic delivers. Every short story is a winner. I giggled and snorted all the way through it. Jeeves is, of course, the brilliant valet to Bertie Wooster, who is a cheerful young man with rather too much cash and rather too few brains. Bertie gets into pickles and Jeeves gets him out. It's simply delightful.
Where the Watermelons Grow by Cindy Baldwin
5/5 starsThis is a middle-grade novel, technically. But it's beautifully written, and it's got enough of the feels that I'd recommend it for adults as well. Where the Watermelons Grows tells the story of 12 year old Della and her family, one hot, dry summer in the South. It's a story about mental health, trusting your community, and fixing your heart instead of your circumstances. I absolutely loved it.




No comments:
Post a Comment