Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. I read this book in the fall, and I still talk about things I learned from it. Gladwell examines the theory of "thin-slicing": taking small pieces of important information and making accurate decisions based on it. He also looks at how our subconscious can pick up on tiny indicators that drastically affect how we think and act. Blink is filled with stories, real-life application, neat facts, and ideas that will blow your mind.
How Shakespeare Changed Everything, by Stephen Marche. I received this book for Christmas and had it read by December 27. Ok, so I'm a nerd and love Shakespeare, but even if you're not a huge fan of William, this book explains some of the crazy stuff in our world. Read it to find out why starlings are building a nest in your garage, where the name "Jessica" came from, and why Obama is president. Fun and interesting read.
Imagine, by Jonah Lehrer. This is my most recent read. I was walking through Barnes and Noble (always a dangerous hobby for me) and this book jumped off the shelf into my hands. I read the back (reviewed by Malcolm Gladwell!) and the first page.... and couldn't stop reading. So I bought it. It interested me because A) I like interesting non-fiction books, and B) I'm fascinated with how our brains work, and C) I don't feel like a very creative person and I want to change that. Imagine looks at what things influence creativity. Is it really an innate gift? Or can it be developed? (Spoiler: it can.) Lehrer looks at all kinds of factors: colors, architecture, other people, city vs. rural, technique, brain waves, and drugs. Read it and be happy.
Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. Another great one by my friend Malcolm. (He's not actually my friend, but I wish he was.) Outliers examines what makes really successful people really successful. Surprisingly, it doesn't all have to do with grit, brilliance, or 10,000 hours of practice. It could be where and when someone is born, who their great-grandparents are, or even how tall he is. Another fascinating book about things we take for granted.
Happy reading!
P.s. I just barely got home from a three mile uphill run. Tina and I ran it like a boss. Felt great.




1 comment:
I've been way into non fiction for a while now. Blink is great. I'll have to check out the other two.
Post a Comment