Friday, May 31, 2013

Of Running and Psych and Things

Hi, Folks.

Life is still good. We're just cruising along, living the dream. Here's a quick list of things on my mind.

1. We've been riding our bikes to school every day this semester. It's been great. We save money on a parking pass, I don't want to swear every morning searching for a parking spot, we save money on gas, we enjoy the fresh air, and we get 20 minutes of aerobic exercise a day. My bike is named Maureen. Jake's is named Other Wife.

2. I've started running again. Tina convinced me to register for a 5K in July, so I got off my bum and started running. Can I just say that after literally sitting on my bum for a year, running was not as easy as it used to be? Regardless, I've quickly regained my running legs and I'm ahead of my non-existent training schedule. I'm trying to correct my heel-strike gait, and it feels like writing with my left hand. Also, it makes my calves hurt. But no shin splints!

3. I seriously want to write a letter to my department. Classes are too easy. A lot (!) of the writing that my classmates do in a 400 level class is so poor that I would consider it passing for a high school senior. How did they make it through and not be weeded out or taught anything? I know that I'm not a great writer, and I still have a lot of weaknesses in my writing. But I do know that I'm at least a correct writer. I know how to use a semi-colon and comma, and I don't have spelling errors and missing words in final documents. I'm just disgusted that my professors don't push students to their capability and hammer basic skills.

4. Maybe it's my disgust at how easy an A is to earn, but I'm thinking that I'll take a math class next semester. Just to do something hard for a change. And because I want to be a well-rounded graduate.

5. I'm currently obsessed with watching past seasons of The Office on Netflix. Don't judge.

6. Season 7 of Psych was a serious disappointment. All the episodes were written by different writers, which would explain the suckiness and fickle plot lines. It turned into a soap opera. Dear USA Network, please let Psych die quietly and happily and resolved at the end of Season 8. It's time.

7. I'm going to class to finish writing a catalog for Clif Bar.

No comments: