Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Who knew?


This is a picture I found on an old roommate's facebook page. This was a ward party in winter 2012. It was a "Blast From the Past" party, which is why we're sitting on the floor and eating mac and cheese and pigs in a blanket and I'm holding bottled Kool Aid even though I grew up eating tofu and polenta so none of the food was nostalgic to me. But that's ok, I'm not bitter. The boy sitting next to me was my hometeacher, and he followed me like a puppy at this party and was/is the most boring person I've ever met in my life. But that's not the point. Look at the arm and knee poking out from my left side and the tiny piece of forehead over my right shoulder. I'd recognize that hand and forearm anywhere. Yes, that's Jake sitting right behind me. (Totally "How I Met Your Mother," I know.) After seeing this picture, I remember that I knew his name and said hi to him, but we didn't talk because A) Mr. Boring was talking to me about himself again, and B) Jake was talking to the girl that belongs to the hand in the bottom left corner. This picture fascinates me because I think it shows that often the things we are looking for in life are sitting in arm's reach. Also, it make me realize that I have small encounters with people now who may end up being a friend, coworker, boss, etc. in my future. I can't wait to watch the movie of my life in the spirit world and see all these little instances where paths crossed.

Also, for the record, had I known we'd be sitting on the floor, I would not have worn a knee-length skirt. It was an uncomfortable night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this thought. We may be closer than we know to important parts of our lives. I am glad that it was captured to contemplate.

Annalee Kelly said...

I love this post. But not as much as I love you! And your sweet mama!

Lindy-Lou said...

Kate, I love this post. It is thought provoking, but also hilarious because of your humor. YOU are a great writer.
PS I love all your posts. Sorry I don't comment more.