1. Graduation. I have 6 required credits left, and 8 other credits that I want to take for fun. Because it's my last semester, I can take them in the fall when I'm off track and graduate sooner if I want. I already registered for them. (Perks of being a senior! No registration headaches! First dibs!) But I don't know if I should look for more work and save up like we usually do in the fall and spend time really job hunting for something in my field. Or if I'd be better off graduating and then hunting with degree in hand. But the area is a little sparse for jobs and even sparser when it comes to writing and publications. So I don't know. In the end, it probably won't make a huge difference either way, but I need to spend some time quantifying options and praying about it.
2. Free time. Ok, so I thought this semester was going to be craaazy because I'm taking lots of 400 level classes. Not so. It's been my easiest semester since Spring 2011, which was when I took all of my easy classes (Don't be like me. Spread them out as a cushion for hard semesters). Which would be awesome because Idaho summers are beautiful, but Jake is taking lots of engineering courses. Which means he does about 40-60 hours of homework a week. Which means that I've got a lot of free time on my hands. (Because A: I don't really have friends to hang out with, and B: Even if I did, I wouldn't want to because Jake wouldn't be there, because C: Nothing is really fun without Jake.) So I've been chillin' on my couch watching The Office while Jake calculates the velocity of one part of a linkage system based on the acceleration of another part and learns about entropy and things. Which makes me feel bad about myself because I know that I could be doing something better. I need a hobby. I've been trying to think of something I could be interested in or something new to try. My life-long passions (music and reading) for some reason have lost a little of their enjoyment. I feel completely unmotivated thinking about playing music or starting a book. Running is still fun; I should do more of that. Cooking could be a great hobby, but A: Too expensive, and B: We'd get fat. I do enough writing for school that the thought of more wrinkles my nose. I hate all things arts and crafts with a religious fervor, so that's out. Ditto with sports. Anyway, you see my problem. But today in church I had the thought that I should try family history. It's free, and I can still sit on my couch. Plus, blessings. I've never even dabbled in it though, so I'm a little intimidated. Any advice on how to start? Or suggestions for additional hobbies?
2 comments:
Get a job with your free time and graduate in December. Just a thought.
I think you should take up travel. To Grand Junction. Lots of study time in the car for Jake. Free room and board upon arrival. And, if you ride your bike, it's free transportation (although slightly harder for Jake to study, I'm guessing)!
Post a Comment