Sunday, September 15, 2013

What Every BYU-Idaho Freshman Should Know, Part 1

In the event of my last first day of school tomorrow, this post is the thoughts I've been pondering as I consider the years I've spent at this university.

This is not a post telling you the best study spots, (The Snow Bldg. or the 2nd floor of the library in the skywalk or the 3rd floor of the I-Center), or the best place to get your textbooks (Book Viking), or even what to do with a terrible roommate (pray about it). 

This is a post about how BYU-Idaho has changed my life. 

When I started at BYU-Idaho, all of my teachers talked about the 5 Principles of the Learning Model. And the 3 Step Process of the Learning Model. And how BYU-Idaho is really a Disciple Training Center. Honestly, I didn't get it. I loved praying in class, and I loved going to devotionals, but the Learning Model and the Honor Code didn't really translate to much except really stupid pre-class preparation quizzes and no shorts in the baking July heat. But. But. But. I get it now. 

Let me explain. 

Everything at BYU-Idaho is founded on doctrine. Seriously everything. For example, the 5 Principles of the Learning Model. 

Learners and teachers at BYU–Idaho:
1. exercise faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as a principle of power;
2. understand that true teaching is done by and with the Spirit of the Holy Ghost;
3. lay hold upon the word of God as found in the holy scriptures and in the words of the prophets in
all disciplines;
4. act for themselves and accept responsibility for learning and teaching;
5. love, serve, and teach one another.

Ok, so these are great, right? Right. I didn't have too much of a problem seeing the connection between learning from the Spirit and acting responsibly and helping and serving others and a great educational experience. But the first one really puzzled me for a long time. How does my faith in Jesus Christ influence my secular learning? 

Well, I should have swapped that question around. Because look at this. The 3 Steps of the Learning Model Process. 
1. Prepare
2. Teach One Another
3. Ponder and Prove

Prepare involves studying ahead of time, both class material and the scriptures, working out problems, writing down questions etc. Teach One Another involves active participation in learning, problem solving, asking questions, helping others etc. Ponder and Prove is usually the assessments: homework, tests, projects. It also involves sharing what you learn with others and looking for applications and connections with other subjects. It should involve seeing the fruition of the previous two steps and also lead into the next topic's preparation. 

I didn't see it before, but this is the faith process. Faith must follow certain steps as well. There's always a promised blessing for any commandment, much like the course objectives. Then we are to study it out in our minds (Prepare). Then, after we have received an assurance (Teach One Another: receive answers in class from the teacher or other students), we act by moving forward. Then we receive confirmation of our choice/actions (Ponder and Prove) and revelation and inspiration to see the influence our actions had on other people or the other parts of our lives. 

It's totally the same thing. Every day and week spent at BYU-Idaho is literally a day in the Disciple Training Center. You will build habits and thought patterns that will strengthen your faith and your ability to rely on the Savior's counsel. Even more so, you will see the enabling power of the Atonement in your life as you continually act in faith to do hard things. 

And that is a great blessing. 

This has been part one. Look for part two: Understanding the Honor Code. Coming soon. 

2 comments:

Tasha L. said...

Wow, your timing is great. Aliysa was just having a tough day and was feeling less than excited to head off to college in January. I think going through two semesters of online classes while living at home has kind of dampened her enthusiasm about college. I keep telling her that on campus classes will be more enjoyable. Anyway, these are great thoughts. She is reading your post now, I think. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on life. I always love reading your blog posts.
Tasha L.

Kate said...

Oh yeah, online classes are nothing like the campus experience. "Real" college is a blast! She'll love it.