Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Honor Code and Temples

Ok, I know I promised a Part 2. And I know it's been like a month. Whoops. What can I say? I've been busy. Post about that soon.

So the Honor Code. I don't hear many complaints about it as a senior, but as a freshman, tons of people complained about it. And it does seem a little restrictive if you look at it on the surface level. Modest dress, no shorts, no leggings (although I've noticed a lot of girls ignore this rule), no short skirts, no pants above the ankles, no beards, no crazy hair color, no shaggy hair for guys, no overalls, no holey jeans, no sleeveless dresses or tops, no flip flops, no alcohol, no drugs, no staying out past midnight, no skipping church meetings, no opposite gender friends in the bedroom, no swearing, no hats on campus, no sweats, and probably more. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

So yeah, it seems like a lot. It doesn't any more because it's all habitual for me now (not that I experienced a drastic lifestyle change when I started school here), but initially it feels a little bit Nazi.

But that frustration comes from assuming that BYU-Idaho is a university. Which it is, yes. But Elder Bednar called it a Disciple Training Center. So it's a place of great learning that prepares us to be servants of the Lord. What other place fits that description? Oh, yeah. The MTC, and I'd also submit that the temple is a Disciple Training Center.

So now think about the Honor Code in terms of the temple.

What do we wear to the temple?
How exact is the clothing we wear in the temple?
How do we speak in the temple?
How must we behave to enter the temple?
What do we do in the temple?

Just like the temple clothing, behavior, and speech is exact and specific, the Honor Code is exact and specific. In exchange for great learning and blessings, we promise to live with higher moral standards. If we do not fulfill that promise, we can no longer enjoy the blessings.

Isn't that cool? Besides that, commandments are a way for God to bless us. And I absolutely believe that the Honor Code is inspired direction from the prophet, which means that the more commandments, the more blessings. So the Honor Code is not oppressive. It's not Nazi rule. It's not restrictive. It's a way to become a disciple and be blessed.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I love that. What a great perspective on the Honor Code and the Temple! Awesome. Where were you when I was a freshman? Oh ya, in diapers!