Thursday, August 27, 2015

Fishing

The last year and a half out of college have been interesting to say the least. To summarize:
  1. I thought I wanted to do technical writing
  2. I got a job doing technical writing
  3. I got super duper bored of technical writing
  4. We moved
  5. I worked myself out of my job
  6. I did some freelance work
  7. I continued to look for work with no success
  8. We moved
  9. I decided to earn a second degree in web design and development
  10. I got a job as a website administrator
  11. I was happy in my new job
  12. We moved
  13. My hours decreased
  14. I looked for work again with no success
So that's about where I was last week. So frustrated, so discouraged. I had just. about. had. it. Stuff Corporate America.

But on the other hand, I so seriously wanted to work and use my talents and not stay home and watch YouTube videos all day. So after another tearful conversation with Jake about how discouraged I was about not getting yet another job I had applied for, he made the inspired/genius suggestion to look for an internship in web design and development.

 I hadn't considered doing an internship, since I Have A Degree and Internships Are For Sophomores, but it made sense. There's a ton of web companies here in town, and since we're moving again in March (Oh yeah, we're moving again. And then moving back. Long story. ) a full time job wasn't likely to work. But internships have the expectation of short term, inexperienced, cheap labor, which makes it more appealing to employers, and I really need the exposure to industry. So it's a win/win.

We just moved here, and I don't really have any connections here, or previous experience in the tech field, so I just started casting lines into the pond to see what bit. I emailed three companies who didn't even have any job openings posted and essentially (in a polite and professional way) said, "You need me, but you don't know that you need me. Please please please read my resume. I'm awesome. Thanks." Yep, I unashamedly begged for an internship with no connection, no referral, knowing that they weren't even looking to hire. But you know what? Who cares. I've lost all sense of shame when it comes to the Job Hunt. I wrote my cover letter in my own writing voice, released a little bit of my inner cheekiness, and confidently laid out what I needed and what I brought to the table.

And it worked. I didn't have great expectations, but it worked. I heard back from one company, and they asked me to come in and interview. I interviewed this morning, and it went really well. They were super nice people, and the company is awesome. So I got home and checked my email 20 minutes later. Bam! Job offer! This is an accurate representation of my behavior for the following 10 minutes.
Happy danced all over the house, y'all. Aaaww yeah.

So that's the story of the only successful fishing experience of my life.

No comments: