Well, here we are. Graduated, packed, moved, unpacked, and here in Colorado. It's been quite the month. Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
1. First order of business: Jake graduated! Woot woot! I'm super proud of him. He's the best and the smartest and the handsomest. Sure, I worked hard in my degree, but Jake has me beat by far. Jake started his new job this morning, and he's really excited. Great things are ahead of us. I love being his wife.
2. As a result of #1, we said goodbye to BYU-Idaho and the happiest and most fulfilling time in our lives (so far). It makes me start to cry every time I think about the school, which is ridiculous, but I truly love BYU-Idaho, and I'm so sad to leave it forever. Two days before we moved, I returned a book to the McKay library (with a $2 late fee, as per my tradition), and as I walked across campus, I thought about all the hard work and learning and joy and blessings I've experienced in the past five years. I said a prayer of thanks in my heart for the privilege of being a student. But I suppose we are not truly leaving BYU-Idaho; we take it with us wherever we go. The BYU-Idaho experience is so transforming that we will always have the values and habits we learned in school. You can read more about what I mean here.
3. The move went relatively smoothly. Two months ago, we read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and it changed our lives. We did the whole process outlined in the book and literally held each item we own in our hands and decided if it brought us joy. We ended up discarding and donating a full third of everything we owned. I have never been able to keep a clean house, but now it's almost effortless to keep things tidy. Anyway, the point is, cleaning out before-hand made moving significantly easier because we didn't have to make decisions as we packed and everything was already organized and grouped together. Keeping the house tidy made white gloving super easy too. It took about an hour to do the entire apartment.
4. Jake's parents helped us move, so they came on Wednesday night and we loaded up the trailer. Then we got up at 5am on Thursday and left to drive across the wide emptiness of Wyoming to Colorado. The drive went really well, and some friends met us here to help unload. On Friday we unpacked everything and bought a new couch at Goodwill and ran errands. Saturday we went garage saleing in the morning and rode our bikes all over town until we were all worn out. On Sunday, Jake's parents left and we went to church. We're back in the ward we were in before, and it was so fun to see people we know.
5. Now, I need to finish folding and putting away laundry and do my dishes and do a bit more organizing. Tonight for family night maybe we'll hang some pictures.
6. Jake is teaching me to ride a unicycle. It's pretty challenging, but I'm getting the hang of it.
1 comment:
I read Marie Kondo's book too, and it is life changing! I wish I would have been able to read it before I had children, like you did. It is a bit more tricky trying to do her method with a large family. But we are plugging through it, and it feels so good to only keep what brings us joy! Good luck with the new job & new place to live!
Post a Comment