Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I Feed My Husband

I mentioned that I suddenly enjoy cooking now that I'm married. I also enjoy not spending enormous amounts of money on food. I also enjoy eating healthy. Here are a few recipes that I use to fill our bellies and stretch our budget. (And they're yummy.) I would have taken pictures, but A) I'm genetically indisposed to taking pictures, and 2) We ate everything before it could get photographed,

Homemade Refried Beans
We eat some variation of these at least 3-4 times a week. They taste just like restaurant beans, and they're the easiest, cheapest thing to make in the world.

2 C dry pinto beans (87 cents a lb at Winco)
5 C water
1 TB dehydrated onion, or half a fresh onion diced
Salt
Cheese
Op. 1 can diced green chilies

Rinse the beans, add to crock pot with water and onion. Cover and put on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4. Just cook 'em til they're done. I put them in before work on low and they're always perfect when I get home. When the beans are soft, use a ladle or measuring cup to scoop out all the extra liquid you can. Use an immersion blender or just your standard hand mixer to beat those puppies up. Add salt, grated cheese, and chilies. Use for tacos, burritos, bean dip, tostadas. Or just with a spoon. They're that good.

Carrot Ginger Rice
Transform your leftover rice.

Cooked white rice
Grated carrot
Grated fresh ginger
Diced onion
Butter

Eyeball all amounts and taste as you go. Saute onion and fresh ginger in butter until onion is almost cooked. Add carrots and saute until soft. Add rice, a little bit of water, and more butter. Stir around until everything is orange and delicious and warm. Salt to taste. This is probably the best side dish for anything and everything. Seriously, make it. It's also dirt cheap to make.

Sushi tutorial to come.

Ps. I got into the editing class! I may sit on the floor, but I'm in. :)



2 comments:

tracy said...

I will be making these soon! Keep it up...I need more recipes to inspire me to actually spend some time in the kitchen.

So glad you made it into the editing class! Now share the whole story...

Lindy-Lou said...

So glad you made it in to the editing class. That was just wrong to keep you out. Happy to have your recipes, especially since we only cook for 2 now just like you! ;)