Ok, so this picture isn't awkward. It's cute. But the rest of them are a little awkward and funny. (A side effect of hiring an amateur photographer for your engagement pictures.) I know it's been more than six months since we got engaged, but this post needed pictures, and this is what I've got.
Who are those people waaaay down there at the end of the hall?
So Jake and I started a new semester on Monday. We both have 7:45 am classes every single morning, which is unfortunate but necessary. Jake is taking Calculus 3, Material Science, General Chemistry, and Manufacturing Processes. And he has three 2-hour labs. I'm taking Rhetorical Studies, Technical Editing, American Literature, New Media Strategies, and Symphony and lessons.
No caption needed.
The course titles probably don't mean much to you, so let me elaborate. Calculus 3 and Chem are 4-credit classes, which should give you an idea of the work involved. Material Science is essentially another chem class, except it actually has a purpose. Jake gets to learn why things break the way they do. Manufacturing Processes is a freshman class that Jake forgot to take two semesters ago. He gets to fabricate things on a CNC machine. Rhetorical Studies is a 400 level class that frightens me. The amount of work is staggering. I'm excited for my technical editing class. We'll be editing 3 actual manuscripts for actual clients over the semester, and we get to find another smaller project to work on individually. American Lit will be fun. My New Media class is about using social media to promote a business. Yes, I get to spend 130 hours this semester using social media. Symphony will be fun; we're playing Tchaik's 5th, which is on the psycho side of brilliant.
"Um, Babe, your head is on my....never mind."
Besides school, not too much is going on. We enjoyed an incredible Christmas vacation in Arizona with Jake's family. It was so warm. So relaxing.
Write your own caption.
So I sat in an office chair for five months, and any muscle tone I used to possess vanished. So I decided to get it back. Tina also wanted to get back in shape, so we made a deal. We can only eat two servings of any kind of dessert during the week. Breaking the rule means we owe the other person $20. We also must exercise for 30 min. 3 days a week. Breaking that rules costs $10 for every missed workout. I've been doing really well. Well, I haven't broken any rules, but I'm still winded by a 10 minute mile. But that's ok.
Jake is co-captain of the school's Baja SAE team. Which means that he helps oversee the schools go-kart building team. They are in the process of designing and building an off-road go-kart to take to a national competition. He loves it. Jake also loves mountain biking and just bought an internal gear system. He also wants to convert his bike from a chain to a belt. With an internal hub and belt, the bike would be completely maintenance free. The internal gear system was originally invented by Leonardo Da Vinci, and the company that makes it is called NuVinci. Look it up on YouTube. It's completely brilliant. Jake also really wants to do an internship with the Specialized bike company next year in CA, so we're crossing our fingers. Well, and we're actually doing things to make it happen.
I'm going to apply again for the internship with church magazines. I feel like I'll actually be a competitive candidate now that I've completed two other internships and taken more applicable classes. We'll see. It would obviously be in Salt Lake, and Specialized is in California, so if both Jake and I landed internships next fall, we'd have to choose one or the other. But everything's 100% speculation. I'm just telling you what's on our minds right now.
Bottom line is that we're loving life. It is so much fun. Sure, it's a lot of hard work and school is a little stressful and we're not 100% sure what's going to happen in the next year. But really, it's awesome and this is a great time of life. People told us the first year of marriage is really hard and there's all sorts of adjustments and learning how to get along etc etc. We're still waiting for it. If this is our hardest year, then we look forward to many decades of partying.
3 comments:
Love your blog. Those pictures brought back a lot of memories and made us laugh. Maybe we had the same photographer. Bob almost never reads blogs, but he had to see what was making me laugh, and then join in. Our favorite by far is the straddling the fountain one.
In all seriousness though, it is so fun to read the blog of such a happily married newlywed couple.
hope you know I enjoyed a good laugh at your expense here.
busy, busy! With such a bright future!
Love you guys! And the baby trick, so not cool! ;)
Post a Comment