Sunday, February 10, 2013

Still Alive and Well

I know it's been a while. Lots of things have happened. Lots of things are happening. I'll try to summarize. I promise to use headers and organization like the tech writer I aspire to be so you can easily navigate and comprehend this long document.

School
Remember last winter when I was buried in work and school? This semester feels a little like that one. Swap out the searing emotional trauma for happily married life, but with about the same amount of work. My classes are all interesting and applicable (So happy to be done forever with busy work), but they are seriously demanding. I'm tempted to drop a class, but I'd have to pay tuition, which I don't want to do, and delay graduation, which I even more don't want to do. I need to learn how to be productive without being stressed. Stress management has never been a strength of mine, stemming from tendencies of perfectionism and caring about everything. But I still have two more semesters and a life to learn how to not freak out.

Some cool things have happened this semester. I've been blessed with some opportunities. In my 450 class, I got the 'job' of Editor in Chief of a class magazine. (I actually had to write a cover letter and resume for it, and a panel 'hired' me.) I get to work in a group of four and create a magazine. Concept, design, advertisements, everything. My group is so awesome. It will be a really fun project.

In my technical editing class, I'm the project manager for my group. The class is working on a local history/memoir written by a man who played a key part in the development of West Yellowstone. He also happens to be my grandpa's second cousin. Which coincidences seem to happen when your family has lived in the same 50 mi. radius for four generations.

I've also had quite a few job offers/opportunities. Four teachers asked me to be their TA (I said yes to two), and one of my teachers recommended me for a technical editing job for a local company. The same teacher recommended me for another paid editing project. I really, really, wanted to do them, but my courses are too demanding. It's unfortunate that I'm so busy doing homework that I can't do real work. But I'm determined to graduate, and they raised the GPA requirements this semester, so I can't just fail a class to work. I also applied for an internship with the Church magazines and general publications. They interviewed me, and I turned in a portfolio and took a long editing test. I'll know by the 25th. I feel somewhat hopeful, but the competition is really fierce. I really, really want it. I've  been dreaming about it for a year and literally having dreams about it for two weeks.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I was invited to the invitation-only Sinfonietta on campus. It's easily one of the best ensembles in the state, and I've been wanting to play in it for, I don't know, ever. But guess who doesn't have time for another 5-hours-a-week commitment? I'm barely making a respectable effort in Symphony Orchestra and my lessons as it is; there's no way I could add more rehearsals, practice, and concerts.

In short, I'm tired of homework. I'm tired of lectures. I want to do cool things.

Home Life
Just living the dream. We moved from a two bedroom to a one bedroom, and it wasn't worth it. The rent is significantly cheaper, but we have to climb over our furniture to get from room to room. Literally. When we moved over Christmas break, Jake was still working full time, so I moved us all by myself. I didn't ask the ward for help because we were only going across the parking lot. And besides, when I was single, all I'd do was toss everything on the bed and grab the corners of my blanket. Jake didn't have too much stuff either when we got married, so I figured it'd take a maximum of 3 hours to move. Needless to say, THREE DAYS LATER, we were moved. Note to self: optimism and independence are not always virtues.

Jake and I still love each other. We usually try to go to bed early for our 7:45 classes, but that plan is foiled because we just stay awake talking and laughing like it's a third-grade sleepover. I love planning meals and keeping house. Jake is just the best husband ever. He'll cook and clean for me sometimes, or run an errand because I don't feel like putting shoes back on.

We've both had nasty colds this season, but we've escaped the flu. Jake also went to the chiropractor because his back ached. The doctor took some x-rays and scheduled a follow-up appointment because something didn't seem right. (Shout out to Dr. Booth in Rexburg: 90 minute appointment, x-rays, tests, and adjustment for $40. Not even kidding.)  We went back in a few days and found out that Jake has a curve in his lower back. Not the good curve, a side-ways curve. Which would explain his chronic back pain. (Which I didn't know about since Jake is the biggest non-whiner of the century.) A curve puts abnormal pressure on the vertebrae, which can cause all kinds of problems. So Jake's been going to Dr. Booth for an adjustment and physical therapy 3 times a week. Hopefully, it will align and strengthen his spine enough to avoid surgery in 20 years. We're just grateful for a doctor who knew enough to take the x-ray, has the equipment to treat the problem, and the generosity to help college kids afford it. (The same chiropractor cured Hannah's allergies, so if you have back or allergy problems, go to Dr. Booth!)

Church
I'm still the employment specialist of our ward, which means that I teach some resume and cover letter workshops and help people know where to look for work. It's been a fun calling, and our bishop actually puts me to work helping people, which is nice. Jake was called as a financial clerk, so he gets to do tithing after church. We really love our ward, and we'll miss it when we move.

It's hard to establish new habits as a newly wed. We've been having a hard time finding time to study the scriptures, partly due to early classes and 8 hours of homework a day, but we're working on it. We're really good about going to the temple every week. Morgan was endowed yesterday, and Jake was his escort. It was a really neat experience. I love to see the temple.

Conclusion
Thank you for reading. We love you. Sorry for not being consistent with my posting. Please come again.



1 comment:

Mindy said...

Love your posts.. whenever they come. :)