1. So our new apartment doesn't have internet included in our utilities, which means that we have to be adults and make a phone call and set it up and then pay money every month for the access to essentially limitless information. Which means that we haven't had instant access to the internet since Saturday.
2. (We're currently at Jake's sister's apartment, which is why I'm blogging.) This lack of internet has led to a few revelations of the not-holy kind.
3. I miss the music and recipes the most. I crave Pandora and Spotify and The Pioneer Woman. How am I supposed to clean the house and make food without them??
4. I still know how to use a phone book to look up all the tire shops in town and call them to compare prices. Actually, I'd never done that before. But I figured out the phone book thing. (Also, I hate making phone calls to strangers.)
5. Without my food blogs and Google, I called my mother several times. Once for a pancake recipe and once to have her look up the address to the Social Security office (I finally changed my name!). My mother is better than Google because she says I love you at the end.
6. These questions led to actual conversations with my mother about her new job and my new job (her as a teacher and me as a technical writer for a legit company) and my grades this semester (top of my class in every ENG course!) and my siblings and things. I should probably call her more often.
7. The first day without internet, I missed facebook. Like more than I should have. And then by the third day, I realized I didn't miss it at all. I can live without facebook and most blogs and Netflix and aimless scrolling.
8. I can't live with no internet period. We had to visit friends' apartments because of important emails and school things. It's a really important method of communication.
9. Jake fixed my bike up and we went to the library and I read him a book and we went for a bike ride and made sushi with friends and watched movies we've seen before. We had fun without the internet.
10. I still miss facebook a little bit.
1 comment:
Aaaaaaaaaah! (Read that as a long, satisfied sigh, not a scream, either of frustration or of terror.) I FINALLY have internet again! AND it's allowed me to get caught up on your life! I understand your rants about your grades, only because you articulated them so well, and NOT because my grades were anywhere in the same alphabet as yours. I think that you'll find that your schooling was good training for ALL of life. There are some things that you can do well in that don't require too much of your effort, and THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!! Because, if every activity/responsibility/endeavor/interest/etc. required your full effort in order to do well, it would be too exhausting, intimidating, and overwhelming to get up in the mornings.
Post a Comment