Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Things I'm Pondering On Wednesday

I'm a pretty poor college student. Compared to a lot of Americans, I live incredibly simply. But I've been writing a research paper on Pakistan this week. I've looked into bonded labor in India and Pakistan. These families work 12 hour days in the heat to pay off a loan that they took from their employer. But it's rigged so they never get ahead. They are enslaved for generations. Imagine sharing 4 cups of grain between your family. For one day. They live in a dirt hut and cook over a fire made from dung. They are illiterate and completely without hope. I can't even imagine it. Can you? My car broke down on Sunday, but that pales in comparison to these people I've learned about. Simply the fact that I own a car is miraculous. Also, I've been researching the lawyers' protests in 2007/2008. The Pakistani government can hardly be called government. It's an endless cycle of dictators and coups. The "constitution" is written in English; only 8% of the population can read it. Even as ridiculous and in-debt our government can seem, it's 100,000,000 times better than Pakistan's.

At the moment, I'm plagued with questions about how I'll do all my homework, practice, spend time with important people, pay for my violin, pay for my car, and eat. I'm stressed out. I need to go to the temple. It's been a few weeks, and I can tell.

I started using a scripture journal for my personal study. It's been so cool. I've been studying covenants.

My mother did my laundry for me this week. I'm so grateful.

I got to watch my three youngest siblings for a few hours yesterday. It was fun. I miss them. I'm glad I have a cool family.

Everything will work out. The Lord is in charge, and I don't need to freak out.

I ate ice cream out of the carton for dinner.

No comments: