Sunday, July 10, 2011

5 Thoughts While I Sit in Bed Before Church

1. I'm tired. Six months of school have worn me out. While it's been fun and very rewarding, my brain and my body have put up with some steep demands. Minimal sleep, exercise and fresh food, combined with the stress of school and work has started to take a toll. I'm tired. And I have hay fever. Achoo. Time for vacation.

2. I need a job for the next six months. I'm mildly stressing out about this, but not too badly. I've always been able to find work. Moving home and getting a job isn't terribly appealing. I want to be done with homework, but not done with school. But that's ok. I'll still have fun.

3. I'll be getting my Associates this semester. Woot. And I should be able to pull off another 4.0. I still have a bunch of projects and finals in the next two weeks, but I think I can do it.

4. My violin teacher told me what I've been missing my whole life. A metronome. Sigh. I guess that will be my summer project. She told me I lack an inner pulse and I don't play the right notes. Great. But learning Mozart's 3rd Violin Concerto has been really fun this semester. It's been refreshing to play something that isn't Baroque after two years of Bach and Vivaldi.

5. This is the part where I go shower and finish my religion homework before church. I could do the dishes too, but I'm really tired of cleaning up after my roommates. But that's ok. I still love them.

5 comments:

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

Metronomes are frustrating. I played on drumline years ago, so I've always had a good sense of rhythm, but metronomes throw me off. My first, and last, time using one was while recording a few songs for a friends birthday present. The metronome was only on for a few minutes. I played much better without it.

Lindy-Lou said...

I hope the rest of your sabbath was renewing and restful. I miss you.

PS my word verification is 'katers'

Kate said...

Contemporary pop and rock is not the same as Bach and Mozart. I play much better after drilling with a metronome. I still hate it, but I sound better.

J-Dawg Fluffy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J-Dawg Fluffy said...

I should probably proof-read my posts before I post them

I understand that, and metronomes do help develop timing. I just found it came naturally to me, so when I was trying to play "A Child's Prayer" with a 3-count metronome, it tossed me for a loop because when I play it, my internal metronome plays two-count. But yes, I'm a fairly well-rounded musician and I understand the difference between Mozart and Metallica :P

-Jdawg