Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Story

Warning: Slightly-cheesy-with-way-too-many-details post ahead. Read at your own risk.

I met Jake at the beginning of last semester. We were in the same ward, and we live in the same apartment complex. My good friend Anna knew him from high school, and one day she walked up to me and said, "Kate, I met your future husband. His name is Jacob and he's smart and mature and good looking." I said, "Cool. Set me up." Our apartment complex hosted a breakfast one morning, and Anna saw Jake there. She called me and told me to come, so I did. I talked to Jake for a few minutes, but neither of us was super interested because Jake was there with another girl, and I had just gotten home from a date with another guy.    So nothing happened for about a month after that.

Then, on March 15th, Jake called me and asked me to go rock climbing. I had just finished teaching lessons, so I was about 45 minutes away, plus I had to write a three page paper that night. I was thiiiis close to pulling the homework card on him, but I really really love climbing and I try not to turn down first dates. So I said yes, but I'd be a little late because I had to stop and pick up my climbing shoes at home and say happy birthday to my brother (it was Seth's birthday). Eventually, I made it back, and we went climbing at a gym with two other couples. It was such a fun date. We talked and talked. The whole time I was thinking, "Why the heck haven't I been friends with this kid all semester?!"

Our first date was a Thursday, and on Friday I went to Utah to visit family. Jake texted me on Saturday and I was excited because I really liked him. (It's a little sad that texting is a part of this story, but whatever.) I got back on Sunday night, and when I started to do homework, my computer was stupid and wouldn't let me log on. Jake and I were still texting here and there on Sunday, and I mentioned that my computer wasn't working. He showed up at my door 3 minutes later. He looked at my computer, couldn't fix it, and stayed to talk instead. We doodled pictures together and talked for an hour and a half. (Jake told me later that he couldn't fall asleep for hours that night because he was thinking about me. Cute.)

I didn't hear from him on Monday, but he asked me to watch devotional with him on Tuesday. Thursday was his birthday, and he invited me to go to dinner with his family. I liked them all right away. Jake's sister just younger than him lives in the same apartment complex, so I knew her already. He has another younger sister the same age as Morgan. His older sister lives in Romania. I loved his parents too. We had Chinese food and ice cream. After we ate and chatted for a little while, I had to go back to campus to finish a project that was due the next morning. Jake walked me to campus and held my hand. (He has long fingers. I like them.) He also picked me up and drove me home when I was done at 11 that night, which was thoughtful of him since it was about 15 degrees outside, and it was his birthday.

We had another date the next night making sushi with his roommate and his girlfriend. It was another great date, and on the way home I was telling Jake about Morgan and how awesome he is. Jake said, "So do I have to meet him before you'll be my girlfriend?" I laughed and said yes, just to tease him. (We tease a lot.) Jake said, "Ok, how soon can I meet him? How about tomorrow?" I said ok. When Jake walked me to the door, he gave me a super long hug. I could tell he wanted to kiss me, and I wanted to kiss him, so I wasn't sure what was holding us up. (Plus it was 15 degrees and I was tired.) So after another long minute of hugging and no kissing, I said, "Would you just kiss me already so I can go to bed?" And then he did. (Side note: About two months after we'd been dating, Jake told me that I was a super boring kisser the first time we kissed, but now I was a good kisser. I laughed and smacked him.)

I have to go study for a test now, so stay tuned for part 2.

6 comments:

Tasha L. said...

Awww, so sweet! I'm so happy for you! He sounds like a great guy. Looking forward to part 2!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Grandfather

Tammy said...

Kate - Congratulations!!! When is the wedding date? And do you know an English teacher at BYUI by the last name of Brugger?

Kate said...

Thank you! We're getting married September 22 in the IF temple. Yes, I know Brother Brugger quite well. I had a class from him and he's my internship coordinator.

Tammy said...

Emily's fiance just did his take- home final yesterday for a class of Brother Brugger's. I was in the other room and kept hearing him randomly laughing, and afterwards he showed me parts of the test. The graphics, random silly questions, and even a YouTube video with Donny Osmond and Jimmy Kimmel were pretty funny. He seems like he would be a good (and entertaining) professor. I told Hyrum I bet you probably knew him. :)

Kate said...

Oh yeah, his tests are hilarious. I love his classes.