So I already posted these on facebook, but I have more to say with them.
So this is a race I ran on the 4th of July in Menan with some friends. From right to left: Ty, one of my (and Tina too) best friends from high school, up for the weekend from BYU. Then Sophie, Tina's younger sister, and runner extraordinaire. Then Chalese, one of Tina's good friends from soccer, and I know her a little bit too since she's in my home stake. She sprints for Utah State and left us all in the dust (literal dust since we were running in Menan). And then there's me, who ran a PR (it was still slow enough that I won't disclose it for embarrassment), and my white BYU-I-no-shorts-for-the-past-four-years legs. And Tina, my bestie/running buddy/fierce competitor, who is a fantastic runner and climber and always tempts me to ignore my homework and go climbing. And then Brittanee, who I sort of know, and her boyfriend (?) who I don't know at all. It was so fun, and then we went down to spend the day with Jake's family. His sister and her husband and new baby are visiting for the summer from Romania (Long story. She served her mission there, then went back and got married and had a baby and now lives there.). We ate lots of food and watched fireworks. It's so strange being in school in July. The 4th came so suddenly, and then we were back in class the next day. Very surreal. But it's my last summer in school!
Then on the 6th, Tina and I ran a color 5k. It was super fun! There were so many people! So many! I really wanted to beat Tina, but I gave myself shin splints on the 4th so I had to take it pretty easy. Someday (like the Millennium) I'll run without shin splints. Jake and Tina's sister came to watch us, but everyone looks the same after being covered in color, so we didn't get any pictures of the finish line.
| Here's more craziness. We didn't really participate. We came to run! |
In other news, Jake is cramming for finals, I'm scrambling to finish all my final projects and portfolios, and we got callings (We're both secretaries for RS and EQ). Also, we're going on a real vacation with our married friends in August. We're going up to the coast of Washington to play in the ocean and see some greenery that's not potted plants in the library. So we're super stoked about taking a real trip (Remember how we only took 3 days off work to get married? Poor life choice. Repenting 10 months later). Aaand, that's about it. Just trying to press through the last week and half of school. Meet you at the finish line.


5 comments:
You've tried new shoes, right? That's usually the culprit with shin splints. Maybe RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Maybe you could wear those compression socks when you run? Have you tried that? I haven't really suffered from shin splints (knock on wood), so I can't really speak from experience. Good luck!
Yes, I have brand new nice shoes, and I've corrected my heel strike gait. I've iced everyday for weeks, and I rested a full week between my second and third race. And they still hurt! It's quite frustrating. I haven't used compression socks though, so I might have to give them a try.
No shin splint advice, unless you think the bf&c might help, but I do love this post. You are so fun and amazing. I love you.
A good wrap that helps divert your body weight away from your fibula while it's healing will do wonders.
My EQP is a chiropractor; I'll ask him sunday.
Correction: Tibia, not Fibula
Post a Comment