I can’t figure out why I keep
attempting the futile. Like why I try to grow my hair out even though it A)
doesn’t look good on me, B) doesn’t suit my hair type, and C) I’ll chop it off
in three months anyway. Or why I wait for ketchup to dry and harden on my plate
before rinsing it. Or why I spend $121.67 on a pair of blue Adidas because
‘they’ll make me run faster.’ Or why I cook rice in a small pot when I know it
will boil over. I don’t know why I try to grow basil when it will die, like it
always does. I’m stuck in this peculiar place between what makes sense and what
I do. But it’s hardly unexpected—I’m a child of futility. On July 24th,
1847, my ragged pioneer ancestors parked their hand-carts on a desert with a
briny lake and said, “Let’s grow things.” They surveyed the dusty plain, gagged
on the salty lake, and stayed anyway. On July 24th, 1992, a nurse
handed me to my parents while fireworks exploded outside the hospital window.
It was Pioneer Day, celebrating 145 years of desert survival. Eventually, my
family left the Utah desert for the Idaho one. I spent my growing years on a
tundra where farmers grow crops with heroic amounts of faith and movable pipe. Miraculously
potatoes sprout amidst sagebrush and tumbleweeds.
***
We shared bunk beds. I slept on top,
and my brother Morgan had the bottom. When I dramatically rolled over in my
non-effort to fall asleep, the whole contraption rocked and creaked. But how
could I sleep? Tomorrow was my birthday, and my cousins would be here after
lunch.
The next day, a baby-blue Grand
Caravan parked in front of our faded picket fence, and my cousins piled out.
Sam, Casey, Whitney, and Daniel (and parents) had come to celebrate. They left
the swarms of picnicking/boating/parading Utahns to roast hot dogs and
marshmallows at the sand dunes for my birthday. While the parents frantically
prepared (Ohmygosh we forgot ice for the cooler somebody grab the sunscreen
where did I set the mustard?), my aunt paused. “Samuel, I told you to take your
socks off. Please do it now.” Sam looked at his feet. His
grey-toed socks bulged past the toes of his Buzz Lightyear sandals.
“But the sand will touch my feet,” he
said.
“Samuel. Take your socks off.”
“But I don’t want to.”
She gave him The Look. “Ok,” Sam said. We sat on the kitchen
floor as he ripped open the Velcro straps and pulled off his socks. He stuffed
them in his pockets. “I’m going to put them back on later,” he whispered.
Children don’t understand futility. We learn futility from grown-ups who tell
us what to do or not to do. Eventually,
we believe them and a sharp piece of doubt fractures our belief in possibility.
As children we believe that maybe this time our socks will magically stay
clean, but our faith is helpless against the torrent of factual reason from our
parents’ mouths.
After all the children were dressed
and shod, we made it out the door and to the dunes. And promptly got stuck. I
pushed my nose against the car window. My baby brother whimpered next to me. I
ignored him. I watched my dad shovel sand away from the front tires of our
Honda. He shoveled faster and faster, hopelessly racing the sand that instantly
filled the shallow indentation. My dad’s grey tee-shirt freckled with rain as
he desperately shoveled. We knew it would rain. We checked the weather that
day, I know that. What foolish stubbornness made us embark on a leaking vessel?
I can’t remember. Maybe I was the one who begged to go despite the rain. I hadn’t
learned futility yet.
My dad was born and raised in Idaho,
and we Idahoans are stubborn after centuries of willing things to relative
success. And so I found myself next to a sputtering campfire: a few old fence
posts drenched in lighter fluid. Whipped by the wind and smothered by the rain,
it smoked and threatened to go out. Still we hunched over it. Three of us were
swathed in a handmade quilt, wet sand sticking to our bottoms, the roasting
sticks clutched in our small fingers. Cold rain dripped off my nose and ran
down my neck. The wind slap slapped the blanket against my arms and blew sand and
smoke in my eyes. My hot dog caught on fire. I ate it anyway. It tasted like
lighter fluid.
***
Grown-ups might fracture our beliefs,
but they teach us about God too. And He’s the master of futile things. After
all, He told people to walk through a sea, not to mention wash seven times in a
filthy river, or plant seeds by a briny lake. Maybe our parents hope that after
we awaken to their fallibility, we’ll at least have the sense to listen to God. ‘Cause, you know, He’s got a decent track
record for Futile Attempts That Worked Out Alright. So I don’t know, maybe the
pioneers got in the habit of doing futile things and passed it on. And now we
expect the waves to part and the rice to not boil over and our socks to stay
clean.
***
Sam’s feet hung over the car seat,
the crust of wet sand flaking off his now-brown socks. The
equally-wet-and-sandy picnic blanket spread across our laps. I leaned my forehead
against the window, watching rows of potato plants fly by like an optical
illusion. Nature had invited us to
leave, politely suggesting and then forcefully insisting. Once we’d
surrendered, we’d played the game “See How Fast We Can Shove Everything Into
The Trunk.” Miraculously the babies hadn’t been packed in the picnic basket in
the chaos. On the way home, I rubbed sand off my bare shins and watched fields
of potatoes and sugar beets drown.
We dragged our damp, cold selves
inside. It was dark, the babies were howling, and everything—from the parents
to the carrot sticks in the cooler—had a liberal caking of wet sand. My dad and
uncle started hauling the tangled mass of gear in from the cars; my mom and
aunt rinsed sand off the babies’ pacifiers and reinserted them. “Ok, strip to
your underwear right here and Don’t Even Think about walking on the carpet” my
mom said, balancing my baby brother on her hip. Mini sand dunes formed as we obediently
emptied our shoes and pockets in the kitchen. We stood shivering and naked on
the cold floor. Morgan’s pudgy legs had dark lines of sand in the creases
around his ankles and knees. My aunt wrapped dry towels around the boys and
turned up the heater. Casey, Whitney, and I followed my mom to the bathtub. We
swished in the warm water and allowed ourselves to be vigorously scrubbed with
strawberry shampoo. My mom dumped cup after cup of bathwater over my head,
trying to dislodge the stubborn grains of sand on my scalp. I kept my eyes
closed and let her try.
Wrapped in my new pink bathrobe, I
knelt on the chair. My feet slipped between the slats. It was two full hours
past bedtime once all seven children had been bathed and pajama-ed. The parents
gave up on putting gear away and decided to feed us cake and stick us in bed. I
tucked my wet hair behind my ears and leaned my elbows on the table. My mother
carried in the chocolate cake. Seven little flames exploded one at a time as my
father lit the candles. Like wagons around a bonfire, we circled our chairs
around the tiny flames and sang. My lungs filled and I blew the candles out in
one breath.
3 comments:
You are a great writer. I had forgotten this day. Thank you for bringing it back with meaning. I love you and hope your birthday is wonderful. It seems strange to not be with you today. I guess that's part of being an adult (not always with your mom on your birthday). Happy birthday my dear!
I love your writing and your insight! Happy Late Birthday!
Kate, I just read your Pioneer Day story, prompted by your comment on the family facebook page about your opp to read it at graduation. You are a great writer. I hope you keep writing throughout your life. I loved this story and could picture it clearly.
Post a Comment