Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Reads

You guys know I love books. I do. Jake likes listening to books, so I read out loud a lot. These are some fun books we've read together. They're perfect for family read alouds, or easy vacation reads, or just because reads. If you've discovered a great book or two this summer, leave your suggestion in the comments. We're looking for our next book. 
This. This is priceless. If you have seen the movie and didn't like it, that's because the movie is poop. This is not poop. (Sorry I said poop.) Seriously though, this is the perfect mix of mystery, magic, hilarity, family adventures, and action. Just read it, ok?

Probably one of the best books I've ever read, period. It does all the things. You will feel all the feels. It's about a 7th grade boy whose teacher makes him read Shakespeare, and it's set in the Vietnam War. Touching and hilarious. You will laugh and cry.

Ok, you know my writer's crush on John Green. I do love his stuff, but this one is different than his other work. It's also one of the best books I've read, period. It's the touching story of two teenagers with cancer, but totally avoids being a "cancer book." John tackles death and love and sickness in an honest and very touching way with a heavy dose of his signature humor to break things up. I have only seen Jake cry one time, and it was while we read this book. It's just good stuff. 

Funny, funny stuff here. This book will make you long for simpler days spent catching gophers on the prairie. We were both in stitches the whole way through. It's a great boy and animal book that everyone will love. 

Another classic by Farley Mowat. Mutt (the dog) makes his entrance in Owls in the Family, but this book is all about him. He climbs trees, dives like a duck, walks up and down ladders, and other misadventures. This one is written for an older audience, not so much in content but in diction, but kids would still love it. 

If you have seen the movie and didn't like it (Steve Martin one), that's because that movie is poop. This is not poop. The re-made movie is NOTHING like the book (besides the 12 kids, and even then it's not very accurate). Again, just funny good stuff. It'll make you want to paint constellations on your walls and morse code messages in the bathrooms and go to Nantucket. 

We're about to start Belles on Their Toes, the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen, and then we're on to Okay for Now, the sister book to Wednesday Wars. What are you reading?

No comments: