Friday, February 4, 2011

Permission to Suck

I am giving myself permission to suck. I never write poetry because, go figure, I hate doing things I'm not good at. Maybe it's an English Major thing. Maybe it's a Kate thing. Maybe it's a human thing. I don't know. But the point is, I'm forcing myself to do something that makes me uncomfortable so it will become more comfortable. And that requires giving myself permission to suck. Permission has been granted, and so here is my poem. (I'm not sure it even counts as a poem.) I don't have a title (leave suggestions in the comments please).


I'm awake
I'm awake

The teacher begins
Droning
I'm awake
I must be

My pen slows
The fog of boredom settles between my ears
But I am awake

Pen falls from my sluggish fingers
My chin dips and
gently touches the surface
of the deep pool of sleep.

But no!
I'm
awake
I must be.

Head up
Pen ready

I'm awake.

The fog invades again.
Eyelids sink.
I'll just
rest them
for a minute.

My head droops
The textbook
on my desk
makes a pillow for my heavy brain.

Teacher drones
He won't notice
I'm awake
I'm awake
I'm
awake
I'm

I know essentially nothing about poetry, but what the heck. Last night I googled "short love poems" and the results were so incredibly, hilariously, awful that I feel much better about my own writing now.

Did you write a poem this week? If so, please share.

This week's prompt is Summer. It's been below zero for the past three days, and I need to think about warm weather.

DFTBA

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I wrote no poem,
So I have no show-em.

See, you really don't suck. :)

Jesse C said...

I like it, and unfortunately it brings back a lot of memories. (Mostly of high school.)

KShay said...

this is good! I really like it, and it's quite true too!

Shua said...

Haha love it. This is my experience in History 202 every day. I'm paying 2200 per semester for some uncomfortable naps...yikes.

Kate said...

Josh, I totally know what you mean. My religion teacher said that education is the one we pay for and try not to get.