Monday, March 12, 2012

Pondering

This is me when I started blogging in 2007. I was 14.
This is me on March 12, 2012. I'm 19.

I just had one of those moments where I feel estranged from myself. I'm feeling like that 14 year old: young, fresh, naive, loving life, having fun, crushing on boys, reading books and playing music. But I'm simultaneously feeling like I'm not the same person at all. That girl knows nothing of formal education, symphonies, love, heartbreak, trial, the Atonement, travel, serious literature, writing, ATMs, checking the oil, finance, independence, dating, or working. My knowledge of life and the world is 100 times what it was then. I suddenly realize that the things I do right now will largely determine what I do the rest of my life. It's a terrifying and exhilarating feeling.

Life was much easier as a 14 year old. Would I trade my life now for my life then? Maybe, but probably not.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love retrospectives, and I frequently compare myself with the me of years gone by. The shades of gray add a lot of perspective. Bittersweet, is it not?

Mindy said...

I loved the 14 year old you, and I love the wiser, older you. :)

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

Soetomes growing up isn't a lot of fun. Usually, it is though.


Ps you're pretty

Tracy said...

Loved your 14-year-old self and all the selves since. Thank you for being in my life!