Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Real Post

Hello. I know I haven't been posting much more than little tidbits of life. So prepare yourself for a longer post. I'll divide it into sections to prevent rambling.

1. School.
I probably won't have a 4.0 after this semester. My English 252 class has kicked my trash. And I cannot stay awake in 7:45 am Old Testament. I have been stressing out over this all semester. But I finally accepted that I might lose my scholarship. It sucks. But life goes on. I give myself permission to not be perfect. It's kind of relieving.

Also, registration for next semester freaked me out. I have to take 5 more classes to finish my degree by the end of next semester. Getting into them and making them fit into my schedule and trying to still be able to teach and play in symphony and take lesson was a nightmare. But with divine intervention and the help of a teacher, I made it work. Hallelujah.

Music has been going well. Our symphony concerts were so fantastic. And we're playing Savior of the World in our brand new, gorgeous auditorium this Friday. I really really really need a new violin. But the $2,000 that it would take will have to feed me for the next few months. Bummer. So far, though, I've managed to save about $150 every month for a new instrument. It'll be a while though, and I'm frustrated with my instrument. It's hard to know I'm capable of sounding so much better, but not being able to hear it.

It's been a pretty good semester. My grammar class that freaked me out has become my favorite. I can tell you all about objective complements and participles and gerunds and compound-complex sentences. My grammar teacher said, "The only reason we learn grammar is to be snobs about it." Yeah....

2. Life on my own
I have felt growing pains this semester. Nothing big, just feeling myself stretch a little at a time. It's been interesting to test myself to see how I handle stuff on my own. I'm so glad I moved out. It's been a very good experience. I never thought I'd keep my room clean, but I have. And for a week it was weird not to tell someone where I was going and when I'd be home.

3. Life Plan
I changed my mind slightly. I switched my major from Creative Writing to Professional Writing. And instead of doing clusters (half a minor) in History and Ancient Languages, I think I'll do Human Resources and Philosophy. Or maybe a minor in Public Relations. Hmm. I'm still pondering.

So that's the news from lake Wobegone. Leave any questions in the comments. I'll answer them in my next post.


5 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

I'm so proud of you.

Tiffany said...

I'm proud of you too. And I think you're wise to give up expectations of perfection. Good lesson to learn young.

Annalee Kelly said...

do you seriously have to keep a 4.0 to maintain a scholarship? that's insane! glad you're debunking the myth of perfectionism:) (although you're pretty darn near translated in my opinion!)
p.s. you wanna come help me do the Graduation Grand Concert April 16 from 1 - 3:00? I'll pay you!

Kate said...

Yeah, I really do. It's crazy ridiculous. I still might be able to have half tuition or something. Grand Concert is a definite possibility, although I honestly haven't planned that far in advance.

Shua said...

I love your blog. So much.