Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Music and Memories

Now that I posted some pictures and memories, I want to share some music and memories. Click on the link to listen to a sample.

My Dad's Music. These songs bring memories of sitting in our minivan with the windows down on a sunny day, on our way to climb, or camp, or hike. Classic rock is always a given on our way up to the ski hill, or even on a road trip when Dad is driving and vetoes the VeggieTales CD. NPR is also a favorite. This American Life, Prairie Home Companion, All Things Considered, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, and NPR News.

My Mom's Music. This reminds me of doing the dishes together, folding the laundry, or sitting at the table reading or drawing. She would always turn this on when we needed a little energy and motivation. Included in the mix was always Billy Joel, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Paul Simon.

My Music. Ah, the sounds of a young violinist. I used to practice on the front porch in the summer, because being inside AND practicing at the same time on a perfectly beautiful summer afternoon was inconceivable. I remember crying over Gavotte. I remember thinking about quitting because putting my fingers down in exactly the right spot seemed way too hard. (In this case, my phone-phobia saved me. My mother said that if I wanted to quit, I had to call my teacher. I didn't want to quit that bad.) These beginning songs tortured and bored me, but I loved them. You can't be a star until you learn to Twinkle.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I am a big indigo girls fan. :)

Annalee Kelly said...

I'm with Mindy-- Indigo Girls all the way:)
NPR news- no way. Way too liberal-slanted for my taste:(
Love your Twinkle quote! Can I put that on the graduation program?

Kate said...

Of course! I don't know if I can take full credit for it, since I've heard several variations of it over the years. But that particular wording is my own.