Wednesday, May 18, 2011

5 Thoughts Before Class

1. Yesterday I walked to class at 7:30 am. I wore a sundress and sandals. It was a beautiful morning, and I enjoyed the warm sunshine. After class, I checked the weather. It was 35 degrees. I was shocked. How can this be?

2. I love, love, love Beethoven's 5th. But there's too many freaking eighth notes. I have to fake and simplify. Our conductor says that Beethoven was the first rock musician. I'm inclined to agree.

3. I have written a total of 250 words in my English class. I find this disturbing. Also, I've found that not-BSing is much harder than I thought. It's kind of exhausting. And I've also found that professors almost expect BSing and sometimes encourage it. Why else would they give us trite busy-work and then give us decent grades for obvious BS? (Gah! I hate busy work so much! It turns me into a giant squid of anger.)

4. My violin has been incredibly rewarding, but it's required a lot of sacrifice. I cut down on my groceries; I never eat out or go to movies, and I don't buy new clothes. Every penny I make goes straight into paying off my loan. But lucky for me, I got an extra scholarship this semester, and more on my tax return than I was expecting. So it's been a good learning experience on priorities.

5. Two of my classes were cancelled today! If I lived in an ideal world, I'd use the extra time to sit in the sun, read a delightful book, and eat fresh raspberries. But I'll most likely sit in the library and do homework. Such is life.

2 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

The laboratory of life! You're already wise beyond your years. Keep this up and you'll be the next Dahli Lama. Did I spell that right? Anyway, you know who I mean.
#2 I heard the same observation on our classical radio station.

Leslie said...

Hang in there! Good job on paying down your loan! You will be blessed. I wish you a slew of ideal days ahead!