Monday, August 8, 2011

100 Things About Me

I'm working on my video log, but while you're waiting, enjoy reading my yearly narcissist writing exercise/journal entry/self analysis. You hear enough about me on this blog already, so feel free to skip this post.

  1. I am very systematic about everything. I decide the order of things before I do them.
  2. I have trouble remembering which words end in "ence", "ance", "ant", and "ent".
  3. When I was 8, I decided to be a writer.
  4. When I was 12, I decided to be a chef and own a restaurant/day spa with my best friend. That dream lasted 4 years; I went back to my original plan.
  5. My best thinking happens on the swing in my backyard. Something about the rhythmic motion, sunshine, fresh air, and distance from Earth opens the floodgates of my brain.
  6. My hair has been 5 different colors in the past 6 months. Some people like to rearrange their furniture; I like to change my hair color. It gives a fresh perspective on life.
  7. I usually write in pencil, but sometimes pen. I also defend my pencils and pens. Don't even think about snagging them off my desk. I'll notice.
  8. I can remember back to when I was 4 years old. I remember several very clear scenes and events, mostly of summer.
  9. I used to ride a very tiny purple two-wheeler that only had one pedal.
  10. My first crush was named Alex.
  11. My handwriting changed when I went to college. My letters started to run together more, into a kind of psuedo-cursive.
  12. A lot of things changed about me when I went to college.
  13. I have two spare tires in my trunk, becuase I've never gotten around to taking one out. Even right now, when my car is sitting there and I'm sitting here.
  14. I love to-do lists written in Sharpie, with everything crossed off at the end of the day.
  15. I believe that anything can be done or learned with enough practice, dedication, and prayer. Because of this, I don't have a lot of sympathy for students who whine about getting bad grades.
  16. My greatest fear is chronic illness.
  17. I lack stamina when I run. I mentally talk myself out of running farther than I'm capable of. Unless I'm running with someone else. Then I will run until I drop to save my dignity and pride. Stupid.
  18. I hate studying for tests. I don't think I've ever studied more than two hours for an exam. I think tests are dumb and I'm not patient enough to sit and reread stuff I already learned about.
  19. My arms freckle in the summer. So did my face until I started using lotion with SPF.
  20. I find great security, joy, comfort, and validation in playing music.
  21. The meanest thing I've ever done was call Morgan a slowpoke. I was 5 and riding a two-wheeler. He was 3 and on a trike. He still remembers it. I scarred him for life.
  22. I'm good at writing letters. I feel like I'm sending a piece of my soul and good luck when I mail a handwritten letter.
  23. I've kept all my birthday cards for as long as I can remember.
  24. I have little callouses on my fingers from playing music and writing.
  25. Meeting new people is pretty easy for me. I like starting conversations.
  26. That said, I'm not a fan of parties. I'd rather hang out with 4-5 close friends and just sit and talk or do something fun.
  27. I usually write thank you cards to my teachers. Along with letter writing, I think this is a valuable tradition that is dying and shouldn't be.
  28. Even though I remember things I did as a child, I can't remember who I was. I often ponder this.
  29. It's not hard for me to read a book cover to cover in one sitting, but I have a hard time sitting through a movie. Unless I'm cuddling with a cute boy.
  30. I have a knack for making teachers like me. This has probably helped me get good grades more than my dedication to homework.
  31. I like to check the mail.
  32. I always colored in the lines.
  33. I consider myself a resourceful person.
  34. I wonder what kind of mother I'll be.
  35. I'd like 4 boys and 2 girls.
  36. Most of the time I feel comfortable in leadership positions, and I'm not afraid of giving presentations or speaking in front of people. But not all the time.
  37. Already excited for football season. Our season tickets came in the mail today!
  38. I'm not afraid of snakes or bugs.
  39. I am afraid of drowning and falling.
  40. If someone misquotes a movie, I'll laugh with them and then repeat the quote correctly.
  41. I've never been good at/interested in playing sports or dancing.
  42. When I'm having a bad day, I go to the grocery store and read all the birthday cards.
  43. My heels crack in the summer. I glue them back together.
  44. Never been stung by a bee.
  45. Young Adult literature helped me understand how the rest of the teenage world thinks and lives.
  46. My cat naps are always exactly 10 minutes.
  47. I've had a 7:45 am class every semester. I don't know why I keep doing it to myself.
  48. I've eaten a tree leaf.
  49. I laugh easily. It's not uncommon for my family to ask me what's so funny when I'm reading.
  50. 10 was my favorite year. I don't know exactly why, but I decided it a long time ago, so I might as well stick with it.
  51. I started working when I was 15.
  52. I bought my car when I was 17. With cash.
  53. So tired of peanut butter....
  54. Blogging has become my journal of sorts, but I leave a lot of personal stuff out. That stuff goes in my legit journal. I've had it since I was 8. I've almost filled it.
  55. If olives were particularly good for me, I'd learn to like them. But they're not, so I don't bother.
  56. I try hard to live with an attitude of gratitude.
  57. Not a fan of video games.
  58. I pre-ordered John Green's next book. He's personally signing all pre-orders. He's the coolest person I don't know.
  59. I have high arches and long toes.
  60. Cookie dough is a weakness of mine. Love it.
  61. I haven't yelled at someone since my birthday.
  62. I love my brother Christopher.
  63. I regret letting my artistic ability slip.
  64. Just paused writing this to chase Christopher around the yard because he stole my glasses.
  65. I call him Munchkin and Kiddo and Love and Dear. I kind of adore him.
  66. Even though I'm scared of falling, I still love climbing. Maybe it's the rope.
  67. I can make important decisions, but I'm not a fan of making inconsequential ones.
  68. My two favorite stuffed animals were a skunk named Squirt and a dog named Charlie.
  69. I swore that I would never outgrow them or forget them, but I did.
  70. But I did take Squirt to college with me.
  71. I never use bookmarks.
  72. I'm in 2 Nephi now.
  73. My top 3 college classes: Natural Disasters, Grammar, and Fundamentals of Literary Interpretation. They were the most enjoyable, most organized, and most applicable.
  74. I'm watching Casper for the first time in 15 years. I probably won't sit through the whole thing though.
  75. I first waterskied when I was 4 or 5.
  76. I enjoy wind.
  77. I kissed my next door neighbor when I was 5.
  78. In some ways I am very patient.
  79. I say "Let me ponder that" all the time.
  80. I say "But that's ok" after I complain about something.
  81. I say "That's comforting" when I'm being sarcastic.
  82. I can count my best friends on one hand.
  83. My room is mostly clean. It got a lot cleaner after I went to college. Probably because I got rid of a ton of stuff.
  84. My knees are scarred from climbing.
  85. Steinbeck's writing inspires me. I'm loving Travels with Charley right now.
  86. I can't sleep with the closet door open.
  87. After I injured my leg and a passing professor gave me a ride to school, I cried a little and said a prayer of thanks in the women's bathroom before class. I was so grateful and my leg hurt so bad.
  88. I'll walk quarter of a mile uphill with an injured leg in the middle of winter to avoid missing class. I'm crazy.
  89. I'm working on writing a post about the other time I remember feeling that grateful. It's about girls camp.
  90. I'm really glad Morgan is my brother. I rely on him for a lot of things. Like entertaining me and hanging out with me when all my friends are across the state/country/world.
  91. I could listen to Frank Sinatra all day.
  92. I really like Thai curry.
  93. I'm pondering auditioning for the IF symphony again.
  94. I consider myself a very blessed person.
  95. I haven't watched TV for months. Even when I'm relaxing, it has to have a purpose. I usually read or practice when I have down time.
  96. Haven't had a date for a while. But I don't mind. I've been hanging out with Morgan.
  97. I asked Morgan for something about me. He said I'm kind of a nerd.
  98. Is anyone ever completely grown up? And if so, how do they know? Is there some award given or like a ceremony or something? I'd like to know.
  99. I applied to about 30 places before I got my job this summer.
  100. I am a typically happy person.
If you want to read past 100 Things posts from my younger self, you can read them Here and here and here and here and here. Peace out.

Actually, it just occurred to me that I haven't done this every year. Just kidding. Forget what I said.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

I'd like to know #98 also.

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

glue?

Kate said...

Yes. Krazy glue.

Lindy-Lou said...

Becoming a parent was what turned me into an adult. It changed my perspective on everything, invested me completely in someone other than myself, and caused me to do things I never thought I could because they had to be done and only a responsible adult would do such things.
Having said that, you are far more prepared for adulthood than I was at your age and beyond.
I can't believe there were 100 things on your list. I could have read a hundred more. You can write!
(My word verification is: 'vegisist'. What is that?!? I'm sure you can come up with a definition. ;)

Kate said...

Vegisist- Noun. One who is inherently and psychologically driven to murder vegetarians.

Daniel said...

I can't sleep with my room door open... :)