I didn't go on vacation this summer. But that's okay- I've got Travels With Charley. And holy smokes is it a journey.
The book is a change from Steinbeck's usual style. It's the story of his trip around America with his dignified elderly French Poodle named Charley. The book was written after he'd already become a Great American Novelist; however, he realized that he was committing the great crime of literature- he was writing about something he didn't know. So he bought a large truck with a camp trailer and set off on a journey to rediscover his country.
I usually fly through books, but Steinbeck's writing makes me read the book like he took his journey- slowly, pondering, noticing. He doesn't write to show America through rose-colored glasses; he writes exactly what he finds, which is pretty good for the most part. The people are drawn poignantly and honestly. The country he discovers is often beautiful, sometimes frightening, and mostly good-natured. Filled with dry humor, witty expressions, and bits of philosophy, the book is charming and thoughtful. Read it.
No comments:
Post a Comment