Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mockingjay


It is 10:36 am and I just finished Mockingjay. I started reading last night at 10:30 and stopped at 2 am. I slept until 8:30, ate breakfast and went back to bed to keep reading. (Thank goodness I don't have to work today.) Obsessive, I know. It's been a problem since I learned to read. Books can easily take over my life.

The Hunger Games trilogy was good. I enjoyed the way Collins was able to portray death and carnage without being disgusting. (And that's coming from a girl who goes weak if someone starts talking about getting stitches.) Futuristic novels have always been a favorite of mine (not the same as sci-fi), and I thought that the setting was well created and believable. The characters changed and matured as the trilogy went on, but they were slightly predictable. The plot was obviously gripping. It takes a lot to keep me awake after midnight.

The first book was undoubtedly the best. I felt like the second book was written too quickly; it was propelled by the stupid love triangle, and nothing happened until the last third when Collins recycled her original idea. The third book was much better than the second, but I did feel like Collins tried to do too much. It didn't feel cohesive enough, but granted, I was reading at 2 am and my brain goes a little fuzzy. I felt that it should have been simplified or expanded, one or the other, preferably the first. All in all, a great series. Fun to read, great thoughts on government and humanity, good summer entertainment.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

looking forward to the Hunger Games movie in march