Wednesday, August 3, 2011

5 Things Before Dinner

1. Apparently not very many people are hiring in August. But I am going to start teaching more violin students through a local studio in Spetember. The pay is good, but I'll have to branch out and teach some fiddling. Sebastian likes the idea of loosening up my rigid Baroque attitude though. I'd really like to get another part time job for the mornings, so I'm still looking. Patience, Kate. Patience.

2. Completed both a Steinbeck and a Hemingway this week. I feel like I can be a legit English major now, thank you. I loved both the books. Each of them only took a few hours to read, so I should go back and analyze them. I liked Hemingway's prose and the lessons from the old man. I liked Steinbeck's characters, the plot with foreshadowing, and the moral challenges he presents. Analysis isn't something I do naturally. I wish I had a teacher to make me write a paper. (Did I just say that?) Next up on my summer reading list: Catching Fire, The Great Divorce, Travels With Charlie, Outliers, The Tipping Point, Blink, The Inner Game of Music, The Hunt, Sense and Sensibility, and others I come across. Any suggestions are welcome.

3. Bought a metronome. I'm beginning to have a pulse. Bought an exercise book. My fingers are beginning to be nimble. Mozart is coming along nicely. The cadenza frightens me. It even looks messy. I would really like to have it polished before I go back to school, so I must be brave and determined.

4. Went to the dentist. Bad news: my wisdom teeth are "impending on [my] nerves." (I have trouble disassociating "impending" from "doom".) They have to be extracted this summer. So exciting. Good news: My dentist told me to apply at a frozen yogurt place his friends own and drop his name. He even said he'd write me a letter of recommendation. I do brush twice a day, but I'm not sure what else I did to impress him. A great smile must carry a lot of weight with dentists.

5. I miss school. I'd even be happy to write another research paper. I miss being busy. I crave productivity. Vacation kind of loses its charm when you grow up and have to pay bills. Dang it.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm so proud of you for #3. Oh, #1 too. And heck... the rest of it is good too. :)

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

Wisdom Teeth extractions are easy. I had mine taken out when I was 14. The anxiety leading up to it was the worst part. They let me listen to my mp3 player, and told me to count down from 100. I'm not sure how far I made it. I was kinda in this semi-sleep, where i couldn't really feel anything, but I could respond to commands (like "No, don't close your mouth; open back up.") They gave me 2 prescriptions for Oxycontin, and I only needed it the first 2 days.

KShay said...

So.

I wish I had more time to read. In that sense, I'm jealous of you. I'm not as jealous about you not working.
Don't go back to school and start writing papers just yet. It gets tiresome after a while.

I'm glad you feel better about playing. We use a metronome in ward choir because our conductor doesn't have a pulse either. Which throws all of us off. how funny.

My wisdom teeth are coming out in a week, I think. I'm not quite sure. oh, and a great smile impresses everybody, not just dentists.

Also, I miss you. I like your blog.