Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Middle Child

I have three younger brothers. Morgan shows up on this blog all the time, because this blog is mostly about me and I do stuff with Morgan all the time. Christopher shows up on this blog sometimes because he has curly hair and general adorableness. But Seth is the middle child, and sometimes I forget about him. (I hear it's a problem for middle children. I wouldn't know. I'm the perfect oldest child who always gets to be in charge.) But today I'm going to tell a story about Seth.

The first thing you should know is that I share the downstairs bathroom with Seth and Hannah. This is usually fine since we all shower at different times, but we run into occasional hangups. (Not to mention they use my towel and don't flush. But that's not the point.)

Sunday Morning at 10:50, exactly 10 minutes before church starts:

I run downstairs to brush my teeth and grab my scriptures before we leave.

The bathroom door is closed.

*knock knock knock*

"Don't come in!" It's Seth.

"Seth! I need to brush my teeth, and we need to leave for church Right Now!"

"Sorry. Can't come in."

I smack the door with my palm. "Fine. I'll find my scriptures and then you better be out."

Scriptures found, (It's now 10:53) I knock again.

"Don't come in!"

"Seth, I just need to brush my teeth. Are you dressed?"

"No."

"Do you have a towel on?"

"No."

*smacking of forehead*

*banging on door again*

It's now 10:54, and my non-existent patience has vanished.

"Seth! I'm coming in!"

I open the door a crack to snatch my toothbrush off the counter.

Seth is sitting on the toilet. Fully dressed. Hair combed. Doing absolutely nothing.

It takes 1 second for me to recognize this, analyze how late I will be, and narrow in on my target. I am poised for optimum smacking when Seth giggles. His freckles are more pronounced in the summer, and his eyes are somewhere between blue and green, framed by dark lashes. He got me good this time. I laugh. He laughs. I laugh harder. He laughs harder.

We laugh together and I swat his bum for principle's sake before I finally brush my teeth and we leave for church at 10:59.

The End.


3 comments:

Casey said...

Oh Seth! :D
I'm so glad you guys could laugh it out.
Keep the laughter going.

Lindy-Lou said...

You are wonderful, Kate. Your grace is healing and powerful. finding the humor in such a situation is a gift.

Jesse C said...

I love you guys.