Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pictures from an Awesome Weekend



These pictures are out of order. I drove Hannah and myself down to Utah on Thursday for the Utes game. I only got lost once. Pictures from the game are below. On Friday, we had the Granddaughters Sleepover, which has been one of my favorite traditions for the past 10 years. This year, my grandma took us to the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. On Saturday morning I drove us back up, dropped off Hannah, and then drove back south to the Idaho State Fair. I worked there for six hours, fiddling and telling people about the music classes at the store. On my way back north after that, I stopped to see my best friend who was in town to be separated from her wisdom teeth. And then....I finally went home to bed. I was pretty tired.
Professional storytellers from around the country came. They were so awesome. This guy was my favorite. His name is Donald Davis. He told a story about trying to trap his little brother and catching his father instead. I laughed so very, very hard.

Hannah watched some puppeteers.
Me, Whitney, Casey, and a sliver of Hannah's face. Hi Hannah.
The setting was absolutely beautiful. The weather was perfect. Many of the stories were touching on some level. One man told a poem about growing where you're planted. I needed to hear that. A lady told about a library book that she kept overdue- for nine years. I've never kept a book quite that long, but I did have some books checked out. Good reminder. :)
That evening, (my cousin Elizabeth joined us after school) we went to The Old Spaghetti Factory, where Whitney works as a hostess. The food was delicious, and the restaurant was so cool. We picked her up after work and watched home movies of our parents as teenagers. My mom had some impressive bangs. Then we went to bed after a good dose of girl talk.
There she is. Hostess with the mostest.
Ah, the game. This is the fourth quarter. Their playing in the fourth should have been better. They really could have scored again. Instead, they ran down the clock. Lame.

Half-time. Score: Utah 24- Montana 7.
First quarter was so hot. The sun was brutal. But Utah scored twice in the first 10 minutes, so I couldn't complain.
Overall, the Utes' defense wasn't quite up to my expectations. The Montana receivers kept outrunning our backs, and their passing game was much too effective. But Brian Blechen picked two passes, which made me very happy (and very loud). I freaking love that guy. Our offence was more consistent than last season. Jordan Wynn kept his head on straight without any of his pansy duck-and-run tricks. John White is a fast running back, and he made a couple really nice plays. Griff McNabb is a wide receiver from Idaho with a fast set of legs. He made some great yards in the first half. Final score: 27-10, Utah. It was a good game, but not quite up to the performance needed to beat USC this week. I'm a little worried, but I'm hoping it was all first game jitters and they'll pull it together. GO UTES!!!

1 comment:

Annalee Kelly said...

Son, I don't understand a word you just said. (But I'm glad your Utes won:)