Thursday, September 29, 2011

Update

Hi, I'm Kate. You probably don't remember me. I've been gone for a while. Here's basically what my life consists of.

Part A
In the morning, I drag myself upstairs at 7 am to eat breakfast with my eyes closed. I take a shower, read my scriptures, do the breakfast dishes while I listen to Performance Today, and then I usually waste some time. Then, I practice for an hour or so before I pick up Christopher from Kindergarten. If I got paid that week, then Christopher and I will stop at the bank on the way home because he likes suckers and I like money. We come home, and I tell him about 17 times to wash his hands because there's all kinds of nasty germs at school and no he can't eat yogurt and brown sugar for lunch. Then the other kids get home. We eat lunch.

Part B
After lunch, I drive for 23 minutes to work. I work at a music store, and my job is mostly to count things. New print music comes in every week, and it's my job to unpack it, count it, and put it in inventory and then on the shelves. I also talk to customers, answer the phone, and make lame jokes. If I'm lucky, I'll get to mess around on a ukulele or play a grand piano. I often get asked about miscellaneous violin things, i.e. strings, tuning, bows, sizing. The job has some great perks though (not counting Donny, although he is charming), so far I've come home with a free guitar that was dented in shipping and I got to go to a Jon Schmidt concert for free. And I get to listen to music all day. It's great.
I work at the store Tues-Thurs. Mondays I teach private lessons, and Fridays I take the kids to gymnastics and the library. Saturdays are my free days.

Part C
After work, my evenings are pretty full. Monday is FHE with my singles ward, Wednesday and Friday is symphony rehearsal, Thursday is institute, and Saturday is a date if I'm lucky or hanging out with Morgan if I'm luckier. And that's pretty much my life right now. I'm busy trying to learn 29 pages of symphony music in three weeks. Besides that, I need to finish my Mozart concerto, play some Bach sonatas, and practice the etudes my teacher made me cross my heart to learn. Also, I ran down the battery in my metronome and it disrupted my whole life. I'm such a procrastinator that it will probably be weeks before I get around to buying a new battery and then where will I be?! No rhythm, no rhyme, no reason!! How will I practice?!

Ahem. I occasionally get carried away. My apologies. I'll be fine.

In other news, I'm still working my way though my Latin book. I still don't know very much about it, but I have a faint idea. I've watched almost every available episode of Psych, which is exciting because I can start living my life again. My bedroom is a mess. I cleaned out my car. I wore out my sneakers, but I'd rather spend money on music. I'm growing my hair out; I put it in a ponytail today for the first time in three years. So yeah. I'm livin' the dream.

5 comments:

Tasha L. said...

It sounds like a great and well balanced life. What a talented and optimistic person you are. It is fun to hear your updates on everyday life.

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

what kind of guitar was it?

Kate said...

Ventura, Chinese made. One of the cheaper ones we carry. Only worth about $140. Sounds a little tinny, but not bad for a beginner. My fam already has a nice Ibenez, but the Ventura is fun to mess around with.

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

I used to lust after the Ibenez guitars for a long time. I've moved on to Jackson now. But Ibenez is still awesome. (My favorite guitarist endorses Ibenez.)

Kate said...

It is a beautiful instrument.