Friday, January 6, 2012

Junior Joy

I know I just posted yesterday, but I have a lot to say. I love school. This university is so amazing. It inspires me to be a better, smarter, stronger person. I'm also writing this so I can go back and read it in about 8 weeks when it wears off and I hate my life.

Being a Junior is awesome. So awesome. I'm completely done with all my generals and prerequisites. Oh my goodness, I am so happy to be done with busy work classes. All of my teachers are passionate about what they are teaching, and all the students are passionate (for the most part) about what they're learning. I'm learning real-deal stuff. No stupid preparation forms or 500 word essays. Just hard, excruciating, delightful, validating work.

Also, since this is a fairly small school, and I've been here for several years, I know a lot of people. Remembering people is my secret super power (everyone's got one), but even without my gift, I legitly know people in all of my classes. Oops, just kidding. Not Accounting. But in 314 I know four people, two in Capstone, one in Brit Lit, five in religion, one in Visual Media. Friends are nice. And I recognize people on campus all the time. I remember my first semester and feeling like nobody on the entire planet knew or cared who I was.

I love my classes. My accounting class has been great. I'm a little bit ahead and it's making sense. My professor really wants us to learn the material and wants to help us. He doesn't take roll; he told us we're in college and if we feel like passing we better show up. Also, he heavily weighted exams and lightly weighted homework. Again, he told us that we could ignore the homework, but we'd fail the test. Having a teacher give me responsibility is so refreshing. I got 100% on the assignment I did today.

My English 314 class is one required just for English majors. Finally! I get to learn how to write!! I've taken a class from my teacher before; she's a great writer and a great teacher. She's requiring a relatively small number of pages, but the expectation for quality is very high. A part of the course is advanced literary analysis, which delights me.

British Literature is at 8 am. Luckily my teacher is funny and the work load is fairly light. If I can learn Victorian literature at 8 am, I can do anything. My mother took the exact course from the same professor last semester and she loved it, so I'm excited. It'll be lots of poetry, but that's ok. I don't mind.

I'm taking Church History from Brother Huff, and working as his TA. Goodness, I love my job.

Visual Media will be very fun and useful. We'll be designing brochures, flyers, logos, and stationary. I like pretty things. And I hate Papyrus. And Comic Sans. So I'm really excited to learn how to create awesome looking useful things.

Oh, and I also became a member of the English Academic Society. (See also: nerd club.) And I'm now in charge of planning an internship workshop. So that will be fun/helpful/stressful. But hey, it'll look great on a resume.

So basically, I'm psyched out of my mind for this semester.

3 comments:

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

I'll take this post to mean your ponderer is no longer broken. That's good. :)

Kate said...

Definitely fixed. Classes kind of shocked me out of my funk. I feel like I just jumped into a very fast, very cold river.

Lindy-Lou said...

You lucky (hard working) girl! How fun!