....I crossed the road with the assistance of a crossing guard. Apparently jaywalking is pretty popular around here, and the police are starting to crack down. The penalty for jaywalking is $75 or a couple hours as a crossing guard. I knew the dude at the crosswalk this morning. He was quite embarrassed. This particular form of punishment seems to be a modern version of stocks in the town square- minus the whipping and starvation. Nothing like a little public humiliation to inspire good behavior.
....I revised my poetry paper's introduction from Dry As Dirt to Sorta Mediocre. I also chopped two paragraphs because they were wimpy wimpy wimpy. Now my paper is a half page short of four pages and I'm worried. But that's ok. The trick to lengthening almost-long-enough papers is not new ideas. I'll just add one sentence to each of my previous paragraphs. BSing? Maybe, maybe not.
....My gloves stayed under my desk when I left Brit Lit this morning. Luckily my momma has a class in the same room right after I do, so she picked them up for me. Items lost and found this semester: two pairs of gloves, one jump drive, one phone, one set of keys, one textbook, one mind. Except I'm still looking for my mind.
....I learned about feminism in the Victorian era. The words "prostitution" and "breastfeeding" and "suffrage" may or may not have been said multiple times. Also, please watch this video and this video. I also woke up at 5:30 to do the reading before class because I completely forgot it yesterday. Victorian feminist poetry does not easily lend itself to my brain at 5:30 am. Don't be like me.
....A letter from my cousin Josh came! It was on the table when I came in from wading through ankle-deep slush and significantly brightened my afternoon. I immediately sat down and wrote him a letter back. Now I'll simply forget to mail it for at least three days, because apparently that's how my brain works.
....I started an application for an internship with Church magazines in Salt Lake. Psyched? yes.
....Adele and Michael Buble and hot chocolate made homework more palatable tonight. I need to buy some new headphones. I'm having music withdrawals because I can't listen to music while I do homework on campus. It's legitimately difficult for me to do anything without music playing. The first thing I do when I get home is turn on music. I'm weird.
....I'm going to bed early. I've been up since 5:30. Which wouldn't be a problem if I'd gone to bed when I usually do, but I didn't. Usually, I'm the first one up and the first one in bed. I probably miss a lot of girl-talk because of this. Small sacrifice for the greater good. Peace out, girl scouts.
ps. Did you like my Five Minute University? Please tell me. If you don't comment, my blogger self with the fragile self image thinks that you hate it. So if you hated it, don't comment and I'll dry my tears and not make another one. But if you liked it, comment and I'll cheer and make more.
pps. My blogger self is occasionally overly dramatic. And I've been awake since 5:30. Going to bed now.
5 comments:
The description of the crossing guard punishment made us laugh out loud. I love your descriptions of college life.
I love every post. I will admit to you that I just did a brutal cleaning out of my blog reading list... time is just too precious, you know? And guess what... you made the cut. That is how much I love your posts. :)
Like your posts always. Poor Dude smart judge. Grandfather
I jaywalk all the time. I'm glad I don't live in a place where they have resorted to such barbaric measures. I also don't think I could take the snow. I'll hike up the side of a snow-covered mountain anytime, but I'd rather take the "chilly" beach weather down here.
Also, I am the same with music. I will go ride my bike or walk for HOURS just as an excuse to listen to my Zune.
I love you and your blog and all your posts, and I'm working in my honorary degree via this blog, so keep it coming. Btw, I found that a teacher doesn't care so much about the length of the paper as long as the content and quality are great! I've gotten many an A with short papers, but succinctness in writing is one of my rare talents. :)
Post a Comment