Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Livin' the Dream

It's kind of a beautiful thing to put all my earthly possessions into my Camry, hug my family, and drive away to do something great on my own. Ah, the simplicity of being young, poor, and single. I moved into my apartment yesterday morning. It took me about an hour total. That's the great thing about having pretty much nothing. It sure is easy to move. Now I'm going to give you a tour of my apartment.

This is the living room. I'm sitting on the couch, and the window on my right is open because it's sunny and 26 degrees and warm days like this just don't happen in January. I'm seizing the opportunity to open the window. I'm really not a fan of the blue wreaths and sunflowers. But one of my roommates put them up, and there's some unwritten rules among roommates. One of them happens to be compromising on decor.
This is the kitchen. Take a long look. This may be the only time it's clean all semester. It's a nice kitchen though. I'm really glad we have a dishwasher, even if it's underused.
This is my food.
This is the bathroom. Please note my new hair color. Also, please note that the light switches for the toilets and showers are on the outside. These provide non-stop pranking and entertainment.
My bedroom. Three bedrooms, six girls. My room roommate is a freshman and seems normal so far, which is comforting. The mattresses are starkly uncomfortable. Next time I go home, I need to remember to steal a foam mattress pad.
My books. Although I basically never have time to read while in school, I simply can't leave my books. They're like my friends, except more reliable. My roommates all brought posters and pictures and whatnot. I just brought books. Also note my cute red hat. Tina gave it to me and it makes me feel classy.
My half of the closet. I have a horde of sweaters. Ten to be exact. 3 cardigans, 2 argyle, 3 solid, and 2 hoodies. I enjoy staying warm. My typical outfit during winter semester usually includes leggings, undershirt, tall socks, wool socks, sweater, jeans, boots, coat, gloves, scarf, and hat. I gain 10 pounds every time I get dressed.
My stack of textbooks, for which I traded my right arm, a kidney, and promised my first born child. But that's not important. What's important is that I am so excited for class to begin tomorrow. Bring it on!

4 comments:

Annalee Kelly said...

I love it. Minimalistic living- you go, girl! ANd I recognize some of your food stash:) love you.

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

1) I would die if I was in a room with an open window and 20 degrees outside.

2) You're very pretty

3) I would have way too much fun with those light switches.

4) You eat much healthier than I do.

Lindy-Lou said...

Thanks for the tour. It's amazing how comforting it is to see where someone you love lives so you can picture them there. Nice quarters!
Have a great semester!

KShay said...

this made me laugh a lot. I totally relate to the moving thing, but it would take me waaay more than an hour to move. Ah the joys of furnishing an apartment...

Also, I understand books. I've recently begun quite a wonderful little collection. And with books I actually want to read them, even though they tell the same story over and over again. Usually I read them once or twice and I'm done; that's not true for my friends.

I love you dearly. Go school! Also, you're awesome!